Saturday, February 9, 2013

Oath to Support and Defend the Constitution


- Cindy Hammond

Each year thousands of people swear to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States, and each year millions of people depend on those same people to do just that. There was a day when Duty, Honor and Liberty meant something to each person of the United States of America, and not just on the Fourth of July, our Independence Day. Listed below are the oaths that thousands of people in our military take each year, our Senators and our Representatives every other year, and our President each year. Many of those same people take this oath to heart and are to be commended to it, because they did everything in their power to defend as much of the Constitution as they could, to the best of their ability, including the 1st and 2nd Amendments.

 Presidential oath of office
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
State Representative
“I, (name of Member), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God” 
Senator's Oath of Office
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."
The Commissioning Oath
"I, _____ , having been appointed an officer in the (Service) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." 
The Enlistment Oath
"I, _____, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." 
These days it's hard to know if the youth of today are gleaning any patriotism from their school, their family, and their church. When I was growing up, each school day in our classroom we stood at our desks with our right hand over our heart, and while facing the flag at the front of the room, we said the Pledge of Allegiance. Now we are seeing the deterioration of our country from within our own government, and also with our citizens, the political climate is hostile, the economy is bleak, and our Commander-In-Chief appears to be siding with the enemies of our country, and his enemies are our country's allies. It's time to put the Pledge of Allegiance back in the schools, complete with the part that mentions God, so that our nation will be truly blessed again. 
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
If it weren't for the patriotism of our citizens, our Senators, Representatives, military and our past presidents, this country would not have lasted for 236 years since our Declaration of Independence. The U.S. Constitution has been the rock that provides our country with the stability that it needed to endure wars, depression, and even huge social changes.

Set aside some time each week to read the U.S. Constitution, and even play the Constitution Game "The Constitution Quest"

No comments:

Post a Comment